Supreme Court

"The Supreme Court was established in 1789, by article Three of the U.S Constitution, Which also granted Congress to have power to create inferior federal courts." (History.com


Going into this assignment, I did not know a lot about the Supreme Court. I knew that it had handles the biggest, and most influential cases in United States history, and that the justices serve until they retire or die. Coming out I think I've learned quite a bit about the Supreme Court. One thing I found super interesting from the video was that each justice instilled a rule to shake each others hand before going on the bench. They made this decision because they thought it would be harder for each justice to hold a grudge with one another. This really sat with me because each justice need to be level headed when going into each case. Just because they didn't agree on one thing doesn't mean they need to hold a grudge to going into a different case. Arguing will happen when trying to find a verdict in a big case like that, however just because this happens everything will be ok in the end. 




I think the biggest takeaway point from this assignment is that the Supreme Court does not get to choose their assignments, they are assigned them. They cannot go back, and reverse the ruling of past cases because they want to, there needs to be a case, and that case needs to be taken to the supreme court which can take years. Many people think that they get to decide what cases they want to review, but that is not how it works. 

One thing that I thought was surprising the fact that the justices agreed on the fact that everyone must speak before someone speaks twice. It is very understandable, and I really like that rule. It gets everyone involved in the conversation and sets an even playing field for all the justices. This makes sure that no one gets skipped over, and each person gets to say their piece. 

Since I really did not have an opinion on the Supreme Court in the first place, I found this video very interesting and informative. I learned a lot, and I know that there is a lot of work that goes on behind the sense when making these big decisions in court cases. I really respect the work they do, and I am happy to hear that we have such a good system set in place. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

EOTO 2 Alternative Media

Final Post

Televison